After hours of testing and running intense gaming sessions on various kinds of gaming routers, we have come to the conclusion that:
Net Gear (R7000p) Night Hawk AC 2300 is undoubtedly the best gaming router for PS4 right now.
Why it’s the best?
- Extreme gaming speeds (up to 2300 Mbps) ensure lag-free gaming.
- Compatibility with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Nighthawk app makes it the best DSL modem router combo for gaming.
ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Our 2nd Choice)
This is our 2nd choice in the list and another one of the best gaming routers for PS4. This was also tested along with other gaming routers on the list in the quest to find the best router for gaming consoles like PS4 and Xbox One.
Why ROG Rapture 2nd on our list?
ROG Rapture is placed second because:
- It’s not compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- This router is bulky, and it cannot be mounted on walls due to its weight.
- The design and user interface of the router and might not suit everyone’s tastes.
This is one of the best gaming routers for PS4 which provides coverage to a very large area or a large house along with superior network security attained by a state of art IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) that protects your gaming network from external and internal threats. It also uses 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP encryption algorithms to keep your data secure.
Net Gear (R7000p) Night Hawk AC 2300 (Our 1st Choice)
Netgear (R7000P-100NAS) Nighthawk AC2300 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router, Gigabit Ethernet, MU-MIMO, Compatible with Amazon Echo/Alexa and Circle Smart Parental...
10 used from $119.79
- AC2300 WiFi-Up to 1625+600 Mbps wireless speed. Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
- Simultaneously stream to multiple devices with Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO). IEEE 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz. IEEE 802.11 a/n/ac 5.0 GHz - 1024 QAM support
- Better video streaming, lag-free gaming, surfing, and more with a powerful 1GHz Dual Core Processor
- Prioritizes network traffic by application & device with Dynamic QoS.
Why do we like it?
Net Gear router is custom built for gaming it has several technologies incorporated in it which ensure smooth multiplayer gaming experience. It has a Dynamic QoS (Quality of Service) system which allocates bandwidth according to the device and its application and also uses traffic prioritization techniques to automatically allocate bandwidth to applications that are sensitive to latency. Net Gear also uses beamforming technology which increases the range of Wi-Fi allowing you to plug your PS4 or Xbox One anywhere in your house and still enjoy lag-free gaming.
A Practical Device:
The Night Hawk app makes this router very practical as it can be used for both normal day-to-day internet browsing, heavy-duty gaming, and live streaming.
High Transfer Speed:
5 Gigabit Ethernet ports (4 LAN & 1 WAN) ensure faster file sharing and transfers.
Who is it for?
A gaming router is for gamers who want to enjoy gaming without any interruptions and lags which is always a frustration for any gamer.
If you want a portable device which can be controlled remotely, then, look no more. I believe this is the best router for you.
Not only can it be controlled with an app but it is also compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant using general voice commands.
Pros. & Cons:
- High speeds for gaming.
- A very powerful dual-core processor.
- Smart Connect- Selects the fastest Wi-Fi band for every device.
- High-performance antennas for better coverage and faster speeds.
- Two USB ports.
- Smart Parental Controls.
- Works with Amazon Alexa™ and Google® Assistant.
- 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports (4 LAN & 1 WAN) for faster file sharing and transfers.
- Anti-malware and parental controls require subscriptions.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Our 2nd Choice)
ASUS Gaming Router Tri-Band WiFi (up to 5334 Mbps) for VR & 4K Streaming, 1.8GHz Quad-Core Processor, Gaming Port, Whole...
4 used from $331.20
- Tri-band (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz) AC5300 wireless router with the latest 802.11ac 4x4 MU-MIMO technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and coverage (up to 5,000 sq. ft.)
- 1.8GHz 64bit Quad-Core processor maximizes data throughput from 8-ports and dual USB 3.0 for optimizing network traffic and connectivity speeds 3. VPN Fusion enables you to run a VPN and ordinary internet connection simultaneously, effectively maximizing your connection speed to gaming servers (available via firmware update)
Why do we like it?
This router is a very powerful beast which packs in an enormous dose of power which can put most desktop processors to shame. It is powered by a top-of-the-line 1.8GHz 64bit quad-core CPU that can handle most tasks you throw at this router from hosting LAN parties to browsing the internet apart from this it also has strong security functionalities which make sure you are safe from external threats. It has 8 high-performance antennas which will provide excellent Wi-Fi coverage and speeds. All these features ensure a quality gaming experience.
It supports almost all types of gaming consoles: PS3™, PS4™, PS4™ Pro, PlayStation® Vita, Wii U™, Nintendo 3DS™ and Xbox One®.
Tri-band Wi-Fi system ensures high internet speeds of up to 5334 Mbps.
This beast is the runner-up. It also offers plenty of features and is another great option which you can avail.
Let’s talk about this product in detail.
Who is it for?
This gaming router is for a serious gamer for whom gaming is a matter of top priority, the price tag puts it out of an average person affordability however if you choose to pay the price you get amazing Wi-Fi speeds with Zero lags, the VPN fusion feature lets you run a VPN and an ordinary internet connection simultaneously!
So even if other network users need to use a VPN, you can still enjoy maximum gaming speeds apart from that the 8 Gigabit LAN ports allow you to host private LAN parties without the need for purchasing additional equipment. This gaming router uses a tri-band technology which means you can allocate a whole band for gaming while other network users can use it for ordinary purposes.
Pros. & Cons:
- High Wi-Fi and transfer speeds
- Extreme processing power
- Tri-Band Technology
- Allows gaming and a VPN connection simultaneously without compromising the game speed
- Excellent Wi-Fi Coverage
- Has a state-of-the-art IPS (intrusion prevention system)
- Supports most gaming consoles like PS3™, PS4™, PS4™ Pro, PlayStation® Vita, Wii U™, Nintendo 3DS™ and Xbox One®
- Bulky and can’t be mounted on walls
- No compatibility for Amazon AlexaTM and Google® Assistant
TP-Link AC1750 (Our 3rd Choice)
Although Net Gear is the best on our list, we can’t simply let go of another great product, the TP-Link AC1750.
Let’s have a look at its features in detail below.
Why do we like it?
Although this router is not the best among the other two it still provides the best performance for its cost, It supports the 802.11ac standard which is capable of achieving reasonable speeds for an average gamer. Despite its low price it still supports Amazon Alexa. It also forms a dual-band connection for lag-free work and entertainment. Browsing is handled by the 2.4GHz band and gaming, streaming or any other heavy duty task is processed by the 5GHz band. This device also very compact and can be mounted to the wall so it occupies less space.
Supports 802.11ac Standard:
This standard 802.11ac is capable of 1300 megabits per second (Mbps) which is the equivalent of 162.5 megabytes per second (MBps).
This is 3x faster than the typical 450Mbps speed associated with 802.11n
Who is it for?
If you have a lesser budget this device is the best for you.
It provides you with basic features required for gaming for a reasonable price.
The external antennas with Dual-Band Wi-Fi greatly expand the wireless coverage.
It also has 2 USB ports and 4 Gigabit LAN Ports which are sufficient for an average gamer and normal use.
Pros. & Cons:
- Supports 802.11ac standard.
- Reasonable Price.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa.
- Parental Controls.
- Dual Band Technology.
- Sufficient LAN and USB ports.
- Performance is not as good as other two routers on the list.
- Low Wi-Fi speeds compared to other gaming routers.
A detailed comparison of different gaming routers has been done to make it easier for you to decide which one you should buy among the 3 best routers.
If you want to buy a router that provides good Wi-Fi speeds and is compatible with other smart devices while having a big budget then I believe Net Gear (R7000p) Night Hawk AC 2300 is undoubtedly the best choice because of its relatively lower price yet great functionality and remote usability. Net Gear has very decent reviews from satisfied customers. It is one of Highest rated PS4 gaming router.
If you have a big budget ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 router is for you with a big price tag yet more features like extra security because of an IPS system, 8 high-performance antennas meaning more speed and coverage.
Also, the TP-Link AC1750 is also worth looking at due to its low price which is affordable for an average gamer yet still fulfilling the basic criteria of a gaming router.