Are you sick of snow and ice accumulation on walkways and stairs around your home? Tired of digging yourself out of your home after every snowfall. Heated outdoor doormats will save you from plowing all night and shoveling. These heated pads for outdoor steps are specially designed for snow and ice melting so that your residential area stay snow free and your walk-area and outdoor stair treads are safe to walk on.
We have concluded that:
Our winner is the HeatTrak Heated Snow Melting Walkway Mat.
To test these snow and ice melting heated stair mats, we set them outside and waited for snow. We also tried these mats by placing them in freezers and covering them with layers of ice cubes. After the trial, we chose the best mats by measuring their power use and melting effectiveness. We spent four months to rigorously test the quality of our selected heated outdoor doormats.
Tips for choosing the best outdoor heated mats
The most important things to consider while buying a heated mat is to make sure that the mat removes the falling and fallen ice completely. The mat should be able to melt heavy snow and help with freezing rain. The power consumption should also be considered.
A few words about HeatTrak Company
HeatTrak is the world’s pioneer in the production of outdoor heated mats. The company’s mats are high quality and durable. The mats are a convenient and efficient way to remove the snow around homes and workplaces. HeatTrak products are sold internationally.
This one is the best ice and snow melting mat ever made. We tested it by simulating freezing rain and ice storm, we are very much satisfied with the quality and efficiency of this outdoor doormat.
Why is this the best pick?
- It measures 20 x 60 inches (20 inches x 5 feet), which is ideal for residential use.
- You can use it separately or with other walkways mats as it comes with 10 – 12″ extender.
- It’s made from a very high-grade customized thermoplastic material.
- It is efficient enough to melt 2 inches of ice snow every hour.
- Very durable, you can leave it outside the entire winter season.
- It’s easily portable as it weighs only 11.4 pounds.
- Pretty much power friendly as it requires 120-volt power unit to operate.
- A cleaner way to eliminate snow and ice.
- Safe and effective ice illumination.
Priced at $144.95, this HeatTrak mat is the best overall mat considering its durability and efficiency. The price is quite reasonable as this mat can last up to 10 years if used with proper precautions and care. You will need to buy a Power Unit 120V separately, it will cost you somewhere between $35 to $70.
Summerstep Heated Outdoor Doormats (Our 2nd Choice)
The Summerstep mat is our second winner in the race for the best residential heated mats. We tested this one under the same procedure, the results were better than expected.
Why is this product not the 1st on our list?
- This mat is not made from thermoplastic material, customized thermoplastic mats are a bit more efficient.
- It is slightly heavier in comparison
- This mat melts slightly less than 2 inches snow per hour, which is also a bit less comparatively
Why it’s still better than others?
- It comes with a 1-year warranty.
- The operating cost is usually less than $2 dollars per day.
- Uses only 120 volts to operate.
- It is made from high-quality durable rubber.
- Anti-slip design to prevent accidents.
- Ideal for residential areas.
- Only 0.35 inches thick, you will not even notice it under your boots.
- This mat is extremely safe, efficient and reliable under harshest weather conditions.
- Its easily connectable and can be used with other heated mats.
- The mat heats very quickly, in a few seconds the snow is eliminated.
The Summerstep Snow Melting mat is priced at $149.00, it is slightly more expensive than our first choice. It has everything you ask for in a snow melting mat. The price is justified as the operational cost is as low as $2 dollars a day. The Summerstep snow melting mats by Powerblanket, are the only mats made in the USA.
HeatTrak heated outdoor step mats (Editor’s Choice)
HeatTrak Heated Snow Melting Half Walkway Mat | Outdoor 'No Slip' Heated Walkway Mat 20 x 30 Inch | No...
- NO MORE SHOVELING, SALTING AND SLIPPING
- PREVENT SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATION: Around the home, front entrance, on outdoor walkways and stairways, driveways, and small business storefronts
- MELT RATE: This mat will melt snow at a rate of 2 inches (5 centimeters) per hour, accounting for even the heaviest storms; The water from the melted snow evaporates right off the mat
- NO INSTALLATION REQUIRED: Just lay them down and plug them in; these mats are designed to be left out all winter
According to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control more than 800,000 people get fatal injuries due to slipping and falling. The cost for these fall injuries is $34 billion each year. Using a heated snow melting mat during winters can save most of those people and treatment cost.
Easy installation and Portability
This mat does not need any expensive or complicated installations, all you must do is to place it on the surface. It is very easy to move this mat around due to its compact size.
It is made from very durable material and designed in a way that you can keep it outside all winter long.
Say no to snow shovels
It is no less than a luxury in winters, if you don’t have to shovel when the temperature is freezing with snow.
Create your own snow melting system
This mat can be used independently or in combination with other mats, to create the best snow melting solution for you.
Warm not hot
This mat is designed keeping a special focus on ensuring the safety measures. This mat is warm and safe to pouch even when operating.
Low operational cost
This mat can operate for less than $2 per day, so you will not need to unplug them when not needed.
- Need assistance if the snow is more than 12 inches.
- The mat has grommets, which can rust if gets in contact with salt
Who is this for?
If you are tired of using snow shovels and you are looking for a more convenient less time-consuming solution, then this heated map is what you need. It is suitable for residences and workplaces alike.
The Summerstep Snow Melting Mat (In Detail)
Summerstep Home WM24x60C-RES Residential Snow Melting Heated Walkway Mat, Anti-Slip, 120V, 310 Watts, 5ft Length, 2ft Wide, Keep Your Path...
- Comes with a peace of mind 1-year warranty
- Will melt approximately 2 inches of snow per hour when operating
- Affordable to operate; usually costs less than 2 dollars per snow day
- Safer and more convenient than shoveling snow or using deicing salt
- Requires one (SMPC) 120-volt GFCI power unit to connect the snow mat(s) to an electrical outlet. Our Summerstep (SMPC) 120-volt GFCI power units are sold separately and available here on Amazon
No more snow shovels
Keeping a snow melting mat will give your snow shovel a complete off for the entire winter season.
Designed to prevent falls
The design of this mat is anti-slip, it’s completely safe.
It is fabricated from high-quality durable rubber. This mat can last up to 10 years, it also comes with 1-year warranty.
This mat can handle extreme weather conditions. It does great in a snow storm of 1-12 inches.
Quick and capable
This Summerstep snow melting mat is capable of melting ice is less than a minute.
Affordable operational cost
Using this mat for 30 snow days will cost you around $50, which makes the cost slightly less than $2 dollar per day.
This mat is completely environmental safe and involves no chemical use.
- This mat weighs 16 pounds which is a little heavy comparatively.
- Poor customer services by the company.
Who is this for?
It is perfectly suitable for homes and offices. It is a quite reasonable solution in winters. This mat is worth the little extra investment, it will save you from the messy doorways, steps, and walkways. It will keep the surroundings safe and clean.
Our third winner is The HeatTrak HR10-30
This is the cheap but efficient option; the HeatTrak HR is one of the best snow melting stair mats. It is best suited for residential use. This mat is completely refundable, so if you feel it’s not what you need you can return it anytime.
The best things about it
- It will only cost you $59.95.
- Measures 10 x 30 inches can be used independently or with other mats according to your needs.
- Can be left outside for the entire winters.
- Made of high quality customized thermoplastic material.
- Capable of melting 2 inches of snow per hour.
- Requires just 120-volt power unit.
- Can last up to 5 years.
- Weighs just 3 pounds so is more portable.
The not so good things about it
- You will have to buy a 120 Volts power unit, which should cost you around $35 to $70.
- It is better suited for snow melting only.
Who is this for?
If you are looking for a heated mat for your stairways, then this is your best option. It is efficient, reliable, affordable and the most suitable option for residential use. However, you may need to use it in combination with other mats to make the perfect snow melting system.
Watch this video to know more about operation and installation of HeatTrak mats
To honor our commitments towards you, we did all we could to bring you completely independent reviews. It was quite challenging to test and select the best-heated mats, we spent a considerable amount of time in doing so. We are excited to announce our ultimate judgment!
If you are looking for a durable, lightweight and large enough mat for snow melting, our first pick the HeatTrak Heated Snow Melting mat is your best option.
Our second best pick the Summerstep Snow Melting Mat is another good option if you are ready to make a worthy investment. The Summerstep mat can be used separately or with other mats in your snow melting system to fill your needs.
If your budget is tight and you are looking for an affordable solution, then our third winner is your best option. The HeatTrak HR10-30 is cheap yet very efficient snow melting mat.
We hope you find our article interesting and helpful. We wish you happy buying! Thank you for taking the time stay connected.